Derek A Smith

Derek A Smith
Combative Arts Expert

Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Street Fighting Moves - 3 Reasons Why Capoeira is Ineffective As a Reality-Based Fighting System

We are addicted to our beliefs. No truer words can be spoken than when someone is emotionally involved in the history and the culture of a so-called fighting system. My question is this. What would attract anyone to the study of Capoeira? I don't know about you, but I have noticed a proportionally high number of women who are attracted to this sport, uh, excuse me, I meant to say martial art. It is beautiful. It is graceful. It consists of many acrobatic and somersaulting types of moves, and of course, it is usually accompanied by a rhythmic African drum beat. Sounds like ballet to me. However, I digress.
There are 3 reasons why Capoeira is ineffective as a reality-based street fighting system:
Reason #1 - It Relies On Too Many Complicated Acrobatic High Kicks and Flips - What the hell do you want to be flipping around and somersaulting like a jackass when some guy is about to attack you with a knife! The minute you take to the air, you are no longer grounded to fight.
Reason #2 - By Nature Of Its Acrobatic Moves, This Fighting System Discriminates Against All But The Young And Most Flexible - I know a lot of combat-ready close quarters fighters in their 40's, 50's and 60's who could handle themselves very well in a street confrontation. None of them that I know would resort to any of the insane acrobatics of Capoeira.
Reason #3 - Capoeira Is Based On Dance And Choreographed Movements - By the fact that this so-called fighting system is based on dance, rhythm and choreographed movements set to music, this runs counter to the chaotic, explosive, wild, confusing and unpredictable nature of a real fight. Let's hear the musical score set to a street fight.
One last question. Have you ever, ever heard of anyone successfully defending himself in a life or death street struggle using Capoeira? I don't hear any answer. I rest my case.

1 comment:

  1. “Leave a comment and tell us about your fight scenario! What situation would you like to see Sean McCully defend in an up and coming episode. Subscribe Now & tell us about it!” Subscribe Now

    ReplyDelete